Thursday, June 2, 2011

Masters of Facades

It's what you work for as a parent: "Oh, your kids are so polite and well-behaved!"

In public.

I politely nod and agree and occasionally dish out an "Aw, shucks."

When we get home, though, the boys often flip their crazy switch, unleashing a full-on emotional assault, especially on weeknights when their pent up emotions from the day gurgle out and ooze throughout the house.
"No, Mini-Me! Is mine!"
"WuuuuubSTER! I had it first!" [Grabs and squeezes brother's arm]
"Owwweee!" [Checks brother into couch]
"Mommy! Wubster hurt me!"
"NoooooOOOO! Mini-Me hurt ME!"
So, tonight, when I decided to forgo the battle over eating dinner with Mickey (TKNTD) vs. playing longer and they played calmly and politely with each other, I thought I was on to something. They played, they shared, they spoke sweetly.

Oh, my kids ARE so polite and well-behaved.
The pipe-dream burst after Mickey was in bed and we finally sat down to dinner with the boys. Well, I wouldn't call it dinner. Train wreck, maybe.

And if dinner was a train wreck, the bedtime routine was a nuclear meltdown.

I know I take the kids' behaviour personally sometimes and get overly frustrated when they don't behave the way I know they can. I know they're overtired, they haven't developed the ability to keep emotions in check, they're learning the basics of sharing and getting along with others. In the heat of the tantrums, though, my emotions are strained as well. It's one of my biggest challenges as a parent.

With an upcoming major adventure with the boys, one in which I know their physical and emotional stamina will be put to the test, I worry that we'll spend more time attempting to diffuse bickering than actually enjoying time together.

I should probably heed my own advice and just chill.

I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment