Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Dip Trip Flip Fantasia

randomtuesday

Groovy groovy jazzy funky pounce bounce dance...Sweet sugar pop sugar pop rocks...Smooth, mind,
floating like a butterfly notes start to float, subtle like a lullaby, brace yourself, as the beat hits ya...ahhh, researching via iTunes genre playlists for an upcoming music trivia night I'm helping organize...thank you for reintroducing me to 90s one hit wonders!

If you happen to be attending said trivia night...you may want to start memorizing your 90s one hit wonders...or you might not. Hmm...tricky!

Speaking of music, Rach introduced the boys to Color Me Badd...is that considered a crime against humanity?

We signed up for a trial membership with the website Relish a couple weeks ago because of a deal Rach had in her Mamapedia emails and I've been pleasantly surprised. Basically, they provide a number of meal options (including kid friendly and vegetarian) each Thursday for the following week, you select the ones you want and then print the recipes and a shopping list. I'm in no way being 'paid' to write this...I just think it's cool because mealtimes around here had gotten into a rut. We rarely planned out our meals, grocery shopping mainly involved roving the middle aisles to grab the usual processed suspects, and evening meal prep meant a "Whatdoyouwant?Idunno,whaddayouwant?Idon'tcareI'mcoolwithwhateveryoudecide" conversation while staring blankly into the pantry. This meant we ended up having the same things over and over. Now I love tacos and spaghetti more than most, but we seriously lacked the spice of life. For the past two weeks with Relish, my grocery shopping time has mainly been spent on the perimeters of the store, which I hear is what you're supposed to do if you want to eat healthier, and I only dive into the middle aisles for cereal and a few other select items. Sure we're paying for something we could do on our own, but I like the external motivation right now and we've already collected some keeper recipes like tonight's lemon garlic sirloin kebabs with Gorgonzola dipping sauce. A couple nights ago I made my own BBQ sauce for the first time. Heck, I even cooked kale last week...what's next? Bok Choy?

They're predicting measurable snow again Wednesday night into Thursday morning...I'll just say it once more: it's nice living in a place where perfectly timed snow will get us out of school for a day...it's too early for the snow dance, though. I'll teach the boys tomorrow.

Rach made homemade hot cocoa mix today and it's awesome! I was a bit reluctant to entertain her idea when she started searching for recipes, but after enjoying a cup tonight...wow! I think she used an Alton Brown recipe. That guy's brilliant!

The Wubster's playing more and more with the Rescue Heroes figures we have around the house, which is hilarious, because they mostly just stand around like a bunch of Joey Tribbianis:
"Hey! How you doin'?"
"Good! How you doin'?"
"I'm good."
"Yeah? Well, how you doin'?"
"I'm good. How you doin'?"
"Pretty good. Can't complain ya know."
"Yeah, I hear ya. You wanna go commando under all Chandler's clothes, play Foosball, or get a giant turkey stuck on your head?"
"Nah."
"Oh...okay. Well, how you doin'?"
"I'm good. How you doin'?"
It's amazing how easily you forget the phases you struggled through with child #1 when it comes time for child #2 (or 3) to partake. The Wubster's not going to bed quietly these days and it's easy to fall into the trap of comparing him to Mini-Me now verses Mini-Me when he was 2.5. Tonight as I put The Wubster back in his room for the fourth or fifth time I was hit with flashbacks of doing the same thing with Mini-Me. By the time I file these memories into the dusty cobwebbed shelves of my brain it'll be time for Mickey (TKNTD) to challenge us.

Tillie Olsen wrote a short story called "I Stand Here Ironing"...I wish Tillie Olsen, or the mother from her story, were here right now. I hate ironing. Great story, though. I don't hate it.

Until next time...Fahrvergnügen!

Be sure to visit The Un-Mom for more Random Tuesday Fun.

1 comment:

  1. They are predicting more snow in my neck of Ontario Thursday or Friday. Hope so. All the rain from yesterday melted it.
    Swinging by from Random Tuesday!!

    ReplyDelete