Monday, May 2, 2011

Hey, Wubster! Do you like SEEfood?

I imagine my parents enjoyed an abundance of blissful mealtimes with me during those first 6 ½ years--all of us sitting poised, yet comfortable, around the dinner table, freshly prepared food eaten appreciatively while still piping hot, civil conversation about the state of affairs at the local playground flowing as we sipped from the never-spilled goblets of perfectly homogenized milk.

Then my sister arrived.

For at least the next ten years, dinners were no longer serene. A tidal wave of giggling, snorting, bickering and food flinging swept over the table, scattering silverware, displacing dishes, and toppling goblets of milk. Quite often, either my sister or I were swept away from the table as well. Dashed against the shores of our bedrooms until we regained our composure. We rarely regained it, though, and thus, with each passing dinner, ate in ever-fluctuating shifts amidst the flotsam and jetsam of what boils down to our inability to look at each other without laughing.

So, boys (and eventually you, Mickey (TKNTD) ), as much as I may act like your wild and wacky behavior during meals is unforgivable, uncalled for, undesirable, and unseen in the prior history of mankind, once you're able to read this blog, you can remind me that I once mastered that game and that, while I sit straight-faced and stoic now, deep down I'm laughing along with you. Deep, deep down.

No comments:

Post a Comment