Wednesday, May 18, 2011

So Take a Look, It's In a Book...

I learned to read in pre-school and, on the day everything clicked in my four-year-old brain, the teachers jumped up and down with joy, paraded me around the school so I could read about the boy, the girl and the helicopter to the kindergartners and other teachers. They made me feel like a reading king for the day.

Nearing the eve of his pre-school graduation ceremony, Mini-Me's on the verge of reading. He's great at recognizing his letters and, if we make him, will look at a word, sound out its letters, and figure out what it is. He recognizes "Star Wars" right away every time now, but when asked other words on the cover of a Star Wars movie or book, will immediately jump to the conclusion that it says "Star Wars" as well. We've got a little work to do about assuming, but he's figuring out context clues pretty well.

The Wubster changed up his bedtime routine a few days ago and now "reads" to us. His favorite book is Down By the Station, an expanded version of the classic children's song, which describes various modes of transportation (a Wubster favorite!) like:
Down by the depot, early in the morning
See the yellow school buses all in a row
See the school bus driver warming up the engine
Vroom vroom beep beep! Off we go!
The Wubster doesn't hit every word, but it's adorable to hear him. Plus it's effective. I calm down within the first few pages and am asleep before he gets to the end. Then all he has to do is tuck me in, kiss me on the forehead, and he's free to go do dishes, mow the lawn, or just unwind with an episode of Special Agent Oso and a bottle of milk.

It's amazed me since Mini-Me started doing the same thing a couple years ago to see what stories they memorize and how quickly it happens. The Wubster is also pretty good with Chugga Chugga Choo Choo and, for Mini-Me it was a Rescue Heroes book.

Years ago, my sister latched onto Green Eggs and Ham. She adored the book and "read" it non-stop. On a visit to my grandparents house, my aunt and I decided we'd grown weary of hearing about Sam and the ham, so we teamed up to confiscate and hide the book.

Our plan backfired.

Instead of sitting quietly and "reading" to us, my sister erupted into a tantrum of tears and ran throughout the house looking under, on, and around every piece of furniture while screaming:
I do not like green eggs and ham! *sniff sniff*
I do not like them Sam-I-am! *SNIFF*
I will not eat them in a box! *sniff*
I WILL NOT EAT THEM WITH A FOX!! *sniff SNIFF*
It didn't take long for her to get the book back.

No comments:

Post a Comment