Wednesday, May 11, 2011

What Time Is It?

Time to get a watch!

I don't wear a watch anymore. The Fossil watch I wore for years now wastes away in a dresser drawer without even a working battery to keep it company. Scattered around the house are also several 'sports' watches that I used to wear while coaching volleyball. The boys found them, pressed all their buttons, and 'hid' them amongst their toys and other treasures.

I took the Fossil watch out of storage a couple months ago, thinking that I'd try wearing it again and it just felt strange and unfamiliar on my wrist. My wrist didn't want to attempt the relationship again, so I conceded and put the watch, out of place in this technological world where telling time involves simply sliding a cell phone out of your pocket, back into the darkness of my dresser drawer.

In 1984, though, it was a different story. My wrist yearned for a watch, especially this watch:

 With its detailed depiction of R2-D2 and C-3PO and glorious 5-function quartz LCD, no watch could be finer.

As far as I remember, this was my first real watch, but, while I remember having it, I don't remember wearing it. I'm sure I did, but the watch I remember wearing more was the pyramid faceted Fossil watch I found years later in the latrine at a camp site:

Not the actual watch, but similar.
I still have this watch in storage in the basement. It was the coolest watch I owned in middle/high school and that includes a Swatch watch!

In college, I went through a pocket watch phase, which I guess is back, except that with my current pocket watch I can listen to podcasts and call my wife to ask what we need from the store.

Mini-Me has owned two watches now. On his fourth birthday he received a Spider-man watch with interchangeable faceplates and more recently, the Easter Bunny left a Lego Darth Vader watch in his basket. He rarely wears either of them. He just doesn't seem to be a fashion accessory type of kid.

Have you seen the Lego watches, though? They're ingenious!



The watch bands consist of interchangeable pieces made of sturdy plastic and they clip together easily, but securely. Plus, they come with a mini-figure, which was a huge hit for "I'm infatuated with 'Dark Vader'" Mini-Me.

The Wubster got a Lego watch from the Easter Bunny, too, but, unlike Mini-Me, has worn it nearly non-stop since Easter. He wears it around the house, at school, at bedtime. He truly loves having it on, which is adorable!

This morning, when I rolled out of bed and turned back to look at The Wubster, (who'd climbed in with us around 3 a.m. to give me a 'foot massage'* ), I saw the Lego watch on his wrist and I smiled, hoping he'll remember his first watch when he's a father.



*A Wubster Foot Massage consists of The Wubster laying with his head pressed against his mother and his feet in a constant kicking/pushing motion against my back (or if I'm unfortunate enough to have rolled the wrong way...my 'sensitive bits'). Occasionally, he'll include a flail in my eye at no additional cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment