Thursday, March 10, 2011

Reluctantly Crouched at the Starting Line...

Earlier this week, Rach and I received emails with log-in information for our local school district's online grade book. Mini-Me's registered, but doesn't actually start kindergarten until August. That didn't stop me from logging in to check his grades.

He didn't have any.

His teacher must procrastinate grading like I do.

Actually, I logged in because it's the same system I use for my students' grades. It was weird, yet exciting, logging in from the other side. At least for me. I don't think Rach was nearly as excited about the opportunity.

Logging in to that grade book brought the beginning of our kids' public school 'careers' into reality and my mind flashed through future highlights like I was flipping through the pages of an unwritten yearbook: first days, homework, new friends, concerts, field trips, dances, graduations...

And tonight, at parent/teacher conferences, I spoke with a couple parents I've known for most of my 11-year teaching career. Each has three children, all of whom I've had the pleasure of teaching. Each is facing the end of their kids' public school 'careers'. I asked them how it felt and they expressed joy, relief, trepidation, but, mainly, disbelief--disbelief that time passed so quickly, disbelief that their 'baby' will be graduating in just a handful of weeks, disbelief that in a matter of months their house will be empty...and calm...and quiet.

As we reminisced and thanked each other for the "great memories" only biannual parent/teacher conferences can bring, I got a glimpse of my future and, though I know it will pass too quickly, I'm excited for this journey to begin...after teaching the kids how to fully enjoy a summer break, of course.

1 comment:

  1. That must be pretty interesting being able to see it from either side.

    ReplyDelete