Wednesday, March 2, 2011

RTT: And I've..Had...the Time of My Life...

randomtuesday

Having, actually...having the time of my life...as a writer and a teacher, at least.

It's Writers Week, a week-long celebration of writing I co-organize with the amazing Jodi D. (and the support of our incredible fellow teachers), and I'm at a loss for words to describe just how this week is evolving. Of course, that could be due to the fact that it's nearly midnight and I'm trying to squeeze out some random Tuesdayness.

Let's just say year one was incredible because it was...year one...and it proved that our students had stories to tell, they needed a forum in which to tell them, and their peers would devour every word. Year two, because we moved beyond calling in favors from local college professors and friends and brought in some nationally known writers (Buddy Wakefield, Heather Brewer) and because it gave us some jaw-dropping student presentations, was outstanding.

But year three...year three...what can I say? We're only two days in, and, holy crap, how can this get any better!?! Our student presenters have upped their game, wowing us, proving that their voices are strong, their stories powerful. And our professional writers have connected with our students on so many different levels. Even a fire evacuation caused by some hooligan attempting to light a soap dispenser on fire in a bathroom on the opposite side of the building can't stop the amazingness that is the first two days of this year's Writers Week (it pissed Jodi and I off, considerably, sure, because you want the show to run smoothly, but the image of a group of students circled around Chris Crutcher in the parking lot discussing writing will be one of my all-time favorite memories as a teacher).

The past two days I've had my own fantastic opportunities to spend considerable time listening to and discussing writing with Chris Crutcher, Dave Cullen, and Antony John (amongst others). In doing so, I've learned so much about writing and publishing, and have found personal inspiration as a writer. Most importantly, though, I've watched our students...especially our writers...soak in the words of these authors and ask brilliant questions. I've watched their passion for writing swell. I've watched them realize they have stories to share, and I'm excited for them. I'm excited for you, dearest readers...because, as singer/songwriter Leslie Sanazaro told our students: "You are the future writers. You are the next generation of voices."


As for my participation in Writers Week (beyond organizing, that is), I shared my first post on this blog (a piece written shortly after our first Writers Week), and one of my December Writing Challenge posts (which has now marked me as the guy who writes about poop...but I'm cool with that.)

1 comment:

  1. I so pleased for you that I'm jealous. And moved. What a fabulous project to bring to your students. Complete with professionals who stand as proof that writing is an art and a profession.

    Bravo, Teach!

    ReplyDelete