Monday, November 1, 2010

The Challenge Begins

The timer is set. I'm off to the races. This is NaNoWriMo if you didn't already know and if you didn't already know, then you probably need to know that's National Novel Writing Month. Before you get too excited, I'm not going to write a novel this month. I am, however, going to get back into the habit of writing.

Since our noisy little adventures prohibit the time I can contribute to tackling a full novel, I've decided to instead tackle an 11-minute writing challenge. I'm going to write for 11 minutes each day throughout the month of November.

Sound good?

Don't answer.

In these 11-minute chunks I'll write about the noisy little adventures that have been festering in the recesses of my brain since May...and I'll keep up-to-date on our recent noise, too.

The clock's ticking. Enough with the set-up, let's do this:

Yesterday, the Wubster 'got' Halloween.

Everything clicked into place: ring doorbell, say 'Twick ooo' tweeeet,' give puppy dog eyes, get gobs of candy, say 'tank ooooo!', move to next house and repeat.

Unfortunately, the third stop was a t-o-t smorgasbord where the kids got to take a piece of candy from multiple families' bowls. That changed the game and Wubster got a bit too confident for the rest of the night, often grabbing for the M&Ms and Hershey Bars instead of waiting for fate to dish out penny candy, Laffy Taffy, or Hubba Bubba. Yes, literally, fate...tall guy, dark robe, hood, scythe...what? That was death. Umm...Wubster...Maybe we shouldn't eat that piece...

At one point his two-year-old hands wrapped around four full-size Snickers bars. It was impressive. I was proud. I was hopeful. She noticed. I made him put them back. I'm still sad I didn't switch costumes with the boys and go back, but then what would I have been teaching them? That dad looks silly squeezed into a size 4T Green Lantern costume?

Midway through the night the Wubster's pumpkin weighed at least five pounds and he wasn't going to release his kung-fu grip on it. For a kid who prefers fruit and veggies to candy, he was territorial with his haul! Don't mess with a dog while it's eating...and don't mess with the Wubster on Halloween!

Lest I forget, Mini-me had fun, too. He was just thankful he got to go trick-or-treating at all after the reenactment of The Exorcist he put on after not taking a nap.

Now I just need to get home to finish 'checking for saftey hazards.' Funny how all the Reese's PB cups had something wrong with them. What's that Rach? So did the Snickers? That's a shame...


Side note: I haven't figured out my rules on editing post 11-minutes. I'll try to avoid glaring grammatical issues, but we'll see what else happens.

2 comments:

  1. sounds like quite the halloween adventure. by the way, this november dedication shouldn't interfere with the most important one.....you know exactly what I'm talking about lol but glad to hear your family is doing well. take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was probably nine or ten before I realized that the Snickers never made it through the candy check at my house either. Just be a little slicker than my parents.. throw the wrappers away where the kids won't see them when opening the trash can to toss something.

    ReplyDelete