Monday, November 22, 2010

Readjusting

Five days away from home changes everything!

Having a room to myself while at the NCTE conference was quiet and peaceful.

Only having to get myself ready in the morning was relaxing and swift.

Reading bedtime stories of my choosing allowed me to actually finish the book I’ve been working on for months.

When I returned to our Noisy Little Adventures yesterday, though, I was as overwhelmed as a leaf floating gently from branch to brook, tumbling noiselessly until being swept downstream and battered by rapids.

We arrived home from the airport and the boys immediately ran to the living room and started playing their keyboards. They cranked the volume to 11.

“Turn it down, guys! That’s a bit too loud!”
Later, they chased each other around the couches, up and down the hallway, into the kitchen, and back again, squealing delightfully the entire time.

“Slow down, guys! And keep it down, too…you’re inside!”
Dinner involved gibberish and bouncing from seat to seat.

“Sit down and eat, please! No yelling at the table!”
Bath time? Yep…you guessed it!

“Whoa! Settle down…stop splashing water out of the tub! Shhh…SheWhosTryingToSleep's trying to go to sleep!”
As the boys eventually settled into bed, Rach looked at me,

“Overwhelming, eh?”
“A bit…”

“Yeah, well, that was actually quieter than usual."

No comments:

Post a Comment