Saturday, November 20, 2010

A Daze Delay

This is an extended version of a story I discussed in a previous post and was written during one of my sessions today at NCTE:

I've never seen someone so happy to fail.

An unknowing observer might say there was no heart behind your actions, but I know better. Every bend of knee, extension of arm, and flick of wrist was done with heart--you were in love.

It just wasn't with basketball.

Her name is 'Amelia' and the minute she switched to your team for one-on-one drills your world erupted. Was it her shoulder-length blonde hair? A glimmer in her excited blue eyes? The way she dribbled the basketball with both hands? Whatever it was, you were smitten and couldn't hold back any longer. As coaches explained the finer points of bounce passing, you turned to 'Amelia' and proclaimed,

"I'm Batman!"
She didn't recoil in fear or shyness. She didn't drop a cold shoulder. She took the bait.
"I'm 'Amelia'!"
In that instant, the basketball court faded away.
"I have a utility belt and a cape! I'm going to play on the playground after this. Are you?"
She turned and ran. You looked heart broken and confused until you realized she'd run to her mother to demand a trip to the playground after practice. Her heart was yours.

And so, as the coaches reentered your world and lined you up for free throws, only one thing was on your mind. You took each shot and missed, but there was a glimmer in your eye, a smile across your face, and joy filling your chest, because 'Amelia' waited at the end of the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment