Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Election Day Reflection

This morning I took Mini-Me to breakfast on the way to preschool. I didn't have school due to Election Day, so I finally made good on a promise from last week when we ran out of time to take him for breakfast prior to his field trip to the Pumpkin Patch. We 'twisted his arm' and he accepted a Starbuck's chocolate chip cookie instead that morning, but I still felt a bit guilty...sure the chocolate chip cookie was the size of his head and probably quite delectable, but I doubt it compared to sitting down to breakfast with his parents...

Today we stopped in at Lady Di's diner, a local institution right across the street from St. Charles High that's packed on the weekends when we drive by, and yet, we always drive by.

Mini-Me and I stepped through the door and veered right into the empty 'no smoking section'. All the excitement was to the left as a dozen or so regulars chatted about the election, suicide, stolen cars, and broken hearts. I wondered if I'd need to have Mini-Me put on his ear muffs since little prevented the adult topics from wafting over with the clouds of smoke.

The waitress eyed us suspiciously when she realized we were there, but warmed up quickly, helping me corral Mini-Me's juicy sneeze and supervise the necessary hand washing. We learned she used to live across the street and that her roommate drives "the school bus parked right over there." She shared her favorite menu items with us...well, me...Mini-Me already voted for chocolate chip pancakes and was mesmerized by the comings and goings of the high school students who didn't have the day off. Eventually, we were left to our breakfast and the continuation of a conversation started while trick-or-treating: Daddy, why do some trees lose their leaves?

When Mini-Me'd finally polished off his pancakes and had a satisfactory understanding of deciduous vs. evergreen trees, it was time to go. I pulled out my credit card to pay the bill. It's what I do. It always works. Even at Steak-N-Shake these days. I never thought it wouldn't, but it didn't work at Lady Di's. They're not with these fast-paced times. I was nervous, embarassed, panicky.

"Oh...yeah...we..."
"Ummm...I only have $6...can I..."
"Sure, don't worry about it..."
"No, really...take this...I'll be back..."
"That's fine...no, keep it...don't worry about it."

I took Mini-Me to preschool, voted, hit the ATM, drove back to Lady Di's, and left $20 to cover our $14 bill.

"Thank you for trusting me."
"Oh...it's what we do."

I hope one day when Mini-Me takes his kid to breakfast he discovers a little place where the old-school values are the best item on the menu.

2 comments: