Sunday, November 28, 2010

Up on the Rooftop

For the most part, I'm okay with heights.

I really enjoy tall roller coasters, mountain climbing, rappelling, and leaping tall buildings in single bounds.

But climbing the ladder to hang Christmas lights? It freaks me out a little. Check that...it freaks me out a lot. It makes my imagination kick into mega-overdrive!

And the weird part? I used to jump off roofs as a kid. [Don't tell my kiddos]

There's just something about the "steadiness" of an aluminum ladder leaning against the house above a slab of concrete while I reach side to side to clip lights to my roof that affects my nerves.

It doesn't help that I'm a perfectionist when it comes to hanging Christmas lights. Every light on the roof must be individually clipped so that all bulbs face the same direction. I want clean lines on my house. Is that so wrong? Is it wrong that I judge others who appear to have just tossed their lights up with reckless abandon? Tis the season, right?

Mini-Me begged me to put multi-colored lights on the roof this year and I shot down that idea. I like the crispness of a solid color along the roof line. I will NOT stoop to adding multi-colored lights to MY roof! Tis the season, right?

It seems I'm not just a perfectionist when it comes to my Christmas lights...I'm a Scrooge.

Before you think there'll be a stocking full of coal waiting for me Christmas morn, I did add multi-colored lights to some of our shrubbery and I surprised the boys by hanging a couple strands of multi-colored lights along the ceiling of their bedroom.

In doing all of that, I didn't quite finish my crisp, clean roof lines. Looks like this year I've got a bonus day of precarious ladder awesomeness ahead of me! Thanks, Santa!

1 comment:

  1. If you're a perfectionist about Christmas lights, I don't think you'd like what my house looks like today. We might actually need more lights to fix what went wrong...

    Unrelated: Last time I giggled while reading one of your posts in a public place and people looked at me like I was insane, I vowed not to do it again. Yet here I am, in the library, reading...bad idea, but still funny.

    ReplyDelete