Sunday, December 12, 2010

Bring in da Noise, Bring in da Puke!

The cacophony can be overwhelming, especially when it seems like it'll never end, but I shouldn't be surprised. After all, these are our Noisy Little Adventures.

Last night, when I finally sat down to write, I couldn't keep my eyes open. I sat with the laptop in front of me, hands on keyboard, brain on topic, chin on chest, drool...[shakes head]...hands on keyboard, brain on topic, chin on chest, droooooooooo...[shakes head]...hands on keyboard, brain on topic, chin on chest, ddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd...

It wasn't going to happen. I was exhausted after a day of playing with the boys and Mickey (TKNTD), baking cookies (Mini-Me helped...he loved controlling the giant, 50-lb. Kitchen-Aid mixer we apparently bought solely for making Christmas cookies), eating cookies (Mini-Me helped...he loves eating cookies), doing dishes (just me...I love doin...no, no I don't) , and prepping meals (mmmm...food). Top off all of these activities with near constant screaming, screeching, shouting, singing, squealing, snickering, a dollop of whipped cream and a cherry and you've got yourself a delightful N.L.A. sundae!

When it comes time to sit down and write at the end of a day, the hope is for an end to the cacaphony. Some nights are better than others.

The Wubster's pretty good about going to bed and staying in bed (unless it's a night when he feels the need to get up and pee every three minutes) and Mickey (TKNTD) is getting better about sleeping almost all the way through the night, but Mini-Me? If Mini-Me is overtired/moody/there's a full moon/it's any day of the week/the wind is blowing from the south/"JUST WANTS TO PLAY BECAUSE I NEVER GET TO PLAY!!"" the adventures can carry on well past bedtime complete with kung-fu grip and door kicking action. Tonight was one of those nights.

Last night, though? Last night was quiet.

Thus, I was a bit disappointed when I couldn't take advantage of the quiet evening for writing. I struggled to keep my eyes open and hit enough random keys that I finally gave in. Going to bed early is something I should take advantage of more often. As the snow was softly falling outside our windows, Rach and I checked on the kids, turned out the lights, and crawled into bed at the same time. The house was quiet, peaceful, calm. And then it erupted. Or, more precisely, The Wubster erupted.

A horrendous gurgling, hacking noise poured forth from the boys' monitor. We ran into their room, found The Wubster spewing like a Play-Doh Fun Factory, moved into super-parent mode and, literally, got our hands dirty despite any personal gag issues. We ended up sitting with him for several hours and through several pajama and bedding changes until we felt it was safe enough to let him fall asleep. The Wubster curled up on a mattress we set up next to our bed and it only took a few seconds before he was out and we finally snuggled ourselves into bed, exhausted.

Even on quiet evenings, the cacophony of our Noisy Little Adventures lurks beneath the surface, watching, waiting, whispering its intent. Though last night's experience kept me from an early bedtime, The Wubster was so adorably, miserably cute (yes, I know he was puking...he was still cute) that I didn't mind giving up my sleep. Next time, though, Wubster, let's be adorable without the puke, m'kay?

1 comment: