Friday, December 24, 2010

'Twas the Night Before Christmas: Noisy Style

I was really hoping, twenty-four days ago when we started WordADay December, that today's draw would bring the perfect word for Christmas Eve. A word that would inspire us to write about the holiday spirit, the glimmer in kids' eyes, the spirits of Christmas past, present, and future, jolly, fat men, or the "reason for the season." A word that would match the wonder of the White Christmas falling outside.

But on this O Holy Night all I can think about is how laborious our Christmas Eve has been, what with children bickering and not napping and the sheer volume of toys strewn about before any new ones have even been opened. I don't remember it being this much work when I was a kid, so hopefully Mini-Me, The Wubster, and Mickey (TKNTD) will end up with a memory full of fondness, warmth, and love for their childhood Christmases just like I have.

In the spirit of our Christmas Eve adventure...and because I fell asleep with Christmas specials on TV, my laptop in my...er...lap, and too much nog in my egg, here's a Christmas poem:
Twas the night before Christmas, in Noisy Little Adventureland,
The kids are not sleeping, something's wrong with our plan.
The stockings are hung by the chimney with care,
But if not for Gorilla Glue, they wouldn't be there.

The children are now nestled all snug in their beds,
Within five minutes they'll be in the living room instead.
And mamma in her ‘sweatpants', and I in mine, too,
Will look at each other, wondering "What are we to do?!?"

Back to their rooms, the children are lead...well, 2/3 of the children because if Mickey (TKNTD) had actually walked out of her room we'd have other things to worry about...but I digress.

Back to their rooms, the children are lead,
They're scared of sugar plums dancing on their heads.
We calm their fears and tuck them in tight,
And hope for the fifth time it's the last time tonight.

Back in the kitchen, to eat a late supper,
Mama and I look around at the clutter.
When Santa arrives he'd better pay close attention,
Or he'll step on a Lego and he'll end up in traction.

To avoid litigation we quickly clean up the toys,
And ponder what new ones Santa'll bring for the boys.
Will there be a robot that burps, farts, and sneezes?
Or will there be board games with thousands of pieces?

Mama and I, satisfied with our straightening,
Finally curl up for our short winter's napping.
When out in the backyard there arose such a clatter,
That I spring from my bed to see what is the matter.

It is then that I remember one Golden Retriever,
That'd gone outside for a pre-bedtime reliever.
As I step onto the deck to yell, "Dash it all, Meli"
I am stopped in my tracks by some bells ringing faintly.

I turn my gaze to the snow-covered rooftop,
And am shocked to glimpse someone fresh from his workshop.
A jolly red elf, with a flowing white beard,
And a group of eight reindeer, plus one that is weird.

The spry little fellow turns and looks my direction,
And he gives me a wink and sincere genuflection.
I quickly realize I should be tucked in bed tight,
So I can be sleeping and the visit go right.

I bow and I wave before running inside,
I quick check on the kids and then I subside,
To a night full of dreams of my favorite toys,
And for much of the same for my girl and two boys.
Merry Christmas, everyone! Enjoy the time with your loved ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment