Saturday, December 18, 2010

Talking Points

Hello.
Hi.
Good to see you! How've you been?
Fine. And you?
Good. How's work?
It's good. And yours?
Fine. How's the family?
Pretty good. And yours?
Fine. Umm...how 'bout those [insert regional sports team]?
Yeah...[Choose appropriately: impressive/disappointing/meh]. And yours?
Umm...the same? Did you hear about that [insert local news headline]?
Yep...crazy. And yours?
What? Uh...umm...oh! Look at the time! It was great catching up! See you next year!
Fine. And yours?
I really don't enjoy small talk. I can perform reasonably well in situations that require it, better than the example above, but, still, it's not my forte. I can be loquacious in the right situations, around the right people, but, overall, I'm shy in social settings.

My dad doesn't have that problem. He'll talk to anyone. I especially remember being embarrassed often as a teenager when we'd go to the grocery store. My dad would strike up a conversation with what, to my hyper-sensitive teenage mind, felt like everyone, while all I wanted to do was escape without notice. He never let that happen.

Mini-Me takes after him that way.
Hi!
...
Hi!
...
I have Spider-man shoes!
...
They light up!
...
Hi!?!
...
I'm Batman!
...
Hi!
...
Daddy? I said 'hi' and he didn't say anything.
This from the kid who wears his Spider-man/Superman/Batman uniform to Cardinal's games and then shies away from the attention he gets.

Nevertheless, I do my best to explain to him that sometimes people don't pay attention to their surroundings or, if they do, don't like to talk to 'strangers'. It's hard for him to understand, being that he's a budding conversationalist, but he seems to accept that not everybody's kind enough to say 'hello' to a four-year-old excited to be in a grocery store.

I think back to the shopping trips I took with my dad and the numerous times I was so easily embarrassed by simple conversations. We reach the check-out lane and the checker smiles and greets us with a tired, 'How are you today?' It's the kind of greeting that doesn't really want to be answered, but I do.
We're pretty good. How are you?
Fine.
Looks like it's a hectic day for you!
Tell me about it...I've been here since ten and it hasn't slowed down.
The threat of winter weather will do that, I guess.
What are they saying now about...
I have Spider-man shoes! They light up!
You do!?! Let me see...WOW! Those are awesome! I wish I had a pair like that!
I have Spider-Man shoes, but I'm really Batman!
Oh, Batman...you're my favorite! Is this your Batmobile, then?
Umm...yes. This is...well, actually it's my Bat-plane. My Batmobile is at the Batcave.
I see. Well, Batman, would you like a sticker?
Sure! Can I have one for my brother, The Wub...I mean for Robin?
Absolutely!
As we make our way across the parking lot, Mini-Me looks up from the orange oval sticker, a smile across his face:
See, daddy. Some people like to talk.

3 comments:

  1. I haven't published my blog entry yet, but I almost wish I would have done it before your's. There are some striking similarities between the two pieces, and it's going to look like I plagiarized your work. But, I didn't...honest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...I don't generally get that response from Mini-Me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jodi, that's because we weren't in the grocery store and he hadn't had his free cookie. Plus, you WANTED him to talk to you. He seems to prefer talking to people who don't want to talk to him.

    ReplyDelete